Workplace culture has seemingly become a trending phrase that includes anything from flexible work schedules to team-member highlights. And the qualitative market research field is no exception. There is no doubt that workplace culture offers a huge benefit to employees and is desired by anyone in the workplace. In fact, the culture of your business encapsulates the character and personality of your organization. But in what ways does workplace culture benefit your business? You’ll be surprised at what it attracts, what it retains, what it promotes, and how it sets you apart.
Here’s why you shouldn’t ignore workplace culture for the benefit of your business:
Preventing Burnout Keeps Employees Engaged
Maintaining a healthy balance between life and work has become a more prominent priority for a majority of employees. Although overtime and weekends may still be necessary in some cases, most individuals are interested in having time to nurture themselves outside of work.
Recently, some businesses have adopted a four-day work week schedule and have reported increased engagement and productivity from their teams. But four-day work weeks aren’t the only way to provide a balanced work environment – simple adjustments can be implemented to produce similar results.
Some ideas include:
- Encourage your teams to schedule their lunch break. When work plates are full, lunch plates tend to be neglected or rushed. Since meals provide fuel for physical and mental activity, your team will be much more productive and feel better when they take time for nourishment.
- Evaluate your process for time off requests. You may find that your policies may come off as intimidating or confusing. Be sure to evaluate your processes for requesting time off so both your business and team can make the PTO request process as stress-free as possible. Clear timelines and expectations will take the pressure off both parties.
- Don’t work harder, work smarter. Make sure the work load is evenly distributed amongst your team. Relying on one person too much can result in burnout, an unfair result for the individual, creating a weak-point in your operations.
Offer Opportunity for Growth
At Focus Insite, we have found that promoting within offers multiple advantages to both team members and our company. Individuals interested in professional development and growth are offered the opportunity when a higher position becomes available. This offers a win-win for everyone involved for the following reasons:
- Hard work is rewarded and incentivizes individuals interested in climbing the professional ladder.
- Your business lowers the risk of failure. Instead of bringing in someone new, you are already familiar with the work ethic and personality type of the individual.
According to Pew Research Center, 63% of workers who quit a job in 2021 did so due to no opportunities for advancement. A positive workplace culture relies on an environment that nurtures the professional development of employees.
Hire Employees that Align with Your Core Values
For anyone with a vested interest in their business, you have a vision for the future. When your team is on the same page, productivity will increase and everyone will reap the benefits of success.
If you don’t already have core values for your company, make this a priority. Determine three to four values that align with your vision and share it with your team. Keep your core values in mind during your hiring process. Do your candidates align with these values? If your team does not align these values, your workplace culture could suffer. For example, our core values are:
- Own it!
The great news is that building a strong, positive workplace culture can be done by any company, any size, in any industry. When you invest in creating a healthy and enticing workplace culture, you’re not just simply following a trend that will fade with time. You’re promoting a workplace culture that promotes healthy-minded, loyal, and productive employees that will enhance the long term success of your business.
Need respondents for your Qualitative Market Research study? Contact us today to learn how we can be of assistance to your project!